LOWERING

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

LOWERING

Post by jonny-1-note »

ive no clue on cars as im an engineer/fab/welder but i would like to lower the car. any of you guys can tell roughly how much this would cost it would be appreciated :) . and ive a post bout some alloys if any 1 has any? as i have original ones on so wot size can i fit under them arches.
PaulW
Administrator

LOWERING

Post by PaulW »

right... you have 3 options for the suspension...

Springs (cheapest)
Uprated Shocks & Springs (semi-cheap)
Coilovers (Expensive)

Springs can be got from £60+ for a set, but avoid Pi as they aint really too good. Whiteline (if you can afford them) make great springs, Gmax are pretty common & are ok. Only thing with springs, is your original dampers need to be in relativly good condition, or they will mess up after a few months if you go for around 60mm drop. 35-40mm on springs is the norm really. Fitting, around £25-£30+ a corner. Maybe cheaper depending if you know the people well.

Uprated Shocks & Springs. Best setup I can think of here is Koni Yellows & WhiteLine Springs... but they will be expensive! Again, lowering springs are same costs as above, but the shocks add up the costs. Some shocks can be quite cheap, around £45 a corner, but others (such as Koni Yellows) are around £75ish a corner. Thats £300 already on shocks & then say another £100 on a good set of springs... + fitting = £500ish. You can go lower than 40mm, ride will be harder but much more controlled than with springs. Fittings - add about another £15-£20+ a corner...

Coilovers... Basically you pay for what you get here. Last corsa I had, I fitted a SPAX RSX Coilover kit (front coilovers - 35-85mm lowering), rear uprated shockers & 60mm lowering springs. Cost me £500 just for the kit, but I did the fitting myself. I\'d imaging the fitting would be about the same really as for springs & shocks. Beuty of coilovers are the height is adjustable, so you can vary how high or low you have the car at different times. I had mine right down at 60mm, but was more like 70mm when all settled in. Ride was EXTREMELY hard, but it handled great on smooth roads & when caning it round oulton park. Some Coilover sets can range upto & over £1000

With all the stuff, if your a bit unsure on fitting, leave it to the garage, but if your feeling brave, get yourself a Haynes manual & read through how to remove & refit suspension. You will need some spring-compressors to remove the front suspension, but rear is easy & just needs jacking & lowering the rear beam slowly when the suspension is undone.

But make sure you get the tracking sorted when fitting suspension to make sure its all aligned!

As for the Alloys, the originals will go well with a 60mm drop, or 40mm, depends how low & how many speedbumps you dont wana go over. Set of 15\'s with 195/45 tyres will be very nice too. But make sure the offset is good, or you WILL need to do a bit of archwork. Ideal offsets for the corsa b range from ET45 to ET49. Most 15\'s will be around ET38-ET42, you \'can\' get away with this but you will need to modify the arches to stop scrubbing. I\'m not a real fan though of larger wheels though, think smaller 15\'s or wide euro-style 14\'s suite the corsa\'s lines much better.
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

LOWERING

Post by jonny-1-note »

cheers paul m8,
gonna go for coilovers i think i know a guy who will do em for me but was just curious on the parts cost, dunno when ill have em done but i got cash ready so kool thanks again.
Adam-D
Administrator

LOWERING

Post by Adam-D »

i had a 60mm g-max sping and shock kit £200 ish and fitted it all myself

ride was good
jsc
CB-Uk User

LOWERING

Post by jsc »

i got 40mm springs fitted to mine for £50
tom87
CB-Uk User

LOWERING

Post by tom87 »

not lowered mine yet but think i might go for 60mm g-max springs.
Ben
CB-Uk Newbie

LOWERING

Post by Ben »

Yeah, il be lowering once i get my wheels, i quite like the look of 35mm dropped on 17\", fits really nicely over the wheels!

I have my test tomorrow morning (13th December!)
blackcorsa20
CB-Uk User

LOWERING

Post by blackcorsa20 »

dropped mine 60mm on 15s looks well nice and only cost me £150 for a full dampener adjustable spax kit 2nd hand only 1 month old, bargain
north east region...the quietest region but the best...imho...
Dannyboy12
CB-Uk Newbie

Re: LOWERING

Post by Dannyboy12 »

I droped mine 50mm on 15ings it was just spring its all been fine for me handles really well
Dash
CB-Uk User

Re: LOWERING

Post by Dash »

If you get coilovers, make sure you spend some good money on them.

You can get corsa kits for £250 and they are poo.

I had FK AKs and they where terrible, loads of problems with wheel alignment & camber adjustment, added to that the damping levels where crap, so if there was the small stone on the road, the wheel would hit the inner arch!

Now got a Bilstien Sprintline suspension kit, and I love it, handling is unreal.